Thursday 6 January 2011

Who would be the audience for your music magazine?

I researched the readers profile for Mixmag and decided to base my target audience on roughly the same group. A readers profile gives a specific outline for who would read my production.


http://jcrossanmedia.blogspot.com/2010/11/target-audience.html

This mood board is full of specific objects, artists that my audience is into. My magazine front cover, contents and double page spread features mainly women although they are not the majority audience. I was aiming to reach roughly 60% male and 40% female. A male is featured on my contents page in the freebie CD, Daddy Yankee, a popular reggaeton artist. Although I have used a woman, this still would attract the male gaze due to the type of music genre being mainly dominated by male artists and the seductive pose of the model on the front will also bring in male audiences. The fact dark colours have been used such as purples and reds are unisex and not mainly related to a specific sex. The image has a black background for effect and the image has connotations of mysteriousness as the girl is not looking at the camera, fun and flirtaciousness. Reggaeton type music such as Shakira can also be seen to have this kind of pose which connotes independance and her fiery attitude.

http://www.inrumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Shakira-had-a-brief-meeting-with-President-Obama-1.jpg

A typical feature within my magazine will be reveiws of gigs and concerts, reveiws of upcoming artists and celebrity gossip. These sections would satisfy the people who are very into the technical side of music, discussing how good a concert was and finding out an A-Z list of where to go next. There will be DJ interveiws to keep the audience up to date will the most recent performances and raves. Applying the uses and gratification theory here thinking about 'what people do with media' rather than 'what media does with people' I suggest that my readers will apply this knowledge of such a wide range of artists out there to help them make up their mind on what parties to go to and what music to listen to. Realising what suits them the most.

The age group here would be of people from 16-25, students who are full of vitality and on the move 24/7 up for anything. Majority will be studying, aspiring people who are either at university or working in the city having a strong knowledge of what is on in the raving scene.

The audience for my Media product would be young adults from 16 to mid 20’s and of working or middle social class. The ethnicity is not completely specific but mostly my magazine will be aimed at Black, Latin and Asian groups. Not all will be London based, as I said before some will be international as I feel the magazine will sell more copies this way and reach more of the targeted audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment